Friday, February 7, 2014

Upset Congress may ask Kiran Reddy to resign: sources

The Congress party may ask Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy to resign because of his steady protest against the creation of a separate Telangana state.

CNN-IBN reported Congress sources as saying that the Congress was upset with Reddy over his dharna and may ask him to resign.

Kiran Kumar Reddy. AFP

Kiran Kumar Reddy. AFP

Reddy had alway maintained that Andhra Pradesh should be kept united and had recently said that he wanted to meet President Pranab Mukherjee to stop the bifurcation.

In an interview to CNN-IBN he had said, "Rejection of the Telangana Bill in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly is an indication that the people of the state wants an united state. Unlike other states, there is a peculiar situation in Andhra Pradesh as there is no recommendation from the state Legislature for bifurcation."

"I am not worried about my own future. I will quit politics. I was born and brought up in Hyderabad. After 57 years you cannot tell me I don't belong to this state. I have strong objection to this," Reddy said. "Telangana is a mistake of the Congress leadership. Andhra Pradesh cannot be divided just like that. The pride of the Telugu people cannot be decided in Delhi. Congress should respect the Assembly's feeling," the chief minister had said.


No comments:

Post a Comment