Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wish I could interview Modi and ask him what he does: Chidambaram

While you can expect a Rahul Gandhi or even Manmohan Singh to brush several of Narendra Modi's caustic wisecracks aside, trust P Chidambaram to come up with an answer to every jibe that is directed at him. In an exclusive interview to CNN IBN, Chidambaram suggested that Modi gets away with saying anything because he never puts himself up for questioning.

Asked to comment on Modi's dig at the FM where he said 'going to Harvard is not same as doing hard work', Chidambaram said, "The problem with him is he never does anything. He never faces an interview. I wish I could interview him and ask him these questions... in fact ask him to come for an interview with you and I can give you my questions," said Chidambaram.

P Chidambaram. AFP.

P Chidambaram. AFP.

He then went on to add that he has no interest in a 'school boys debate' with Narendra Modi since the latter never argues on specific points and issues. "Ask him what is his position on fiscal deficit, current account deficit, on monetary policy?" he questioned.

The finance minister also added that he isn't quite dismissive about Modi. In fact, he follows him closely and hence realises how badly equipped the Gujarat CM is to lead the country.

"As he is the Prime Ministerial candidate of the principal opposition, I follow him very closely. I closely follow what he says. And there's the undercurrent of majoritarianism, undercurrent of individualism and his favourite theme in every speech - I, me, my. Give me power, I will give you swaraj. Give me power, I will bring back black money ... a country can't be run like that." he said.


No comments:

Post a Comment